Friday, September 30, 2011

What Can Happen When the Body Works

"Vitruvian Man" by Leonardo Da Vinci

No matter where we are, we are never beyond the reach of God.

Even if you are in a season of blissful happiness right now, chances are you have been in (or will one day find yourself in) a dark pit of despair - something you never fathomed could happen to you. That is our lot in this life - we cannot escape our encounters with pain, as much as we desperately try to.

I am certain that my young friend who recently suffered the incomprehensible loss of her husband never dreamed she would ever have to endure such a crushing tragedy. No one is supposed to be widowed in their early thirties, suddenly facing the gaping hole of the loss of their best friend and father to their young child.

When I heard of my friend's loss, my heart was overwhelmed with grief for her. I prayed repeatedly for her comfort and peace, that she would somehow experience God's great mercy like never before in the midst of such a dark place. I know there were many others around her who continually lifted her up as well - and continue to do so even to this day.

And beyond even prayer, many within the local church were moved to action in the midst of my friend's crisis - reaching out with gifts and food. It was a sight to behold, watching perfect strangers sign up to take meal after meal to this hurting family, all because of a burning desire to show Christ's love in a tangible way.

Just this past week, I had the privilege to listen to my sweet friend as she shared through tears how much the Body of Christ's outpouring of compassion meant to her. Because of the Church's faithfulness to minister to her in her darkest hour, she is forever changed. She has experienced the love of God in a way she'd never known before, seeing Him as the kind, merciful, and loving Father that He truly is. She has begun regularly attending church and will even be dedicating her son soon, as well as being baptized herself! All praise to God for showing His miraculous power even in the midst of seemingly impossible despair.

When the Church operates in the Spirit-filled power it was designed to function, reaching out in Christ's love as only His Body can, amazing things can happen! Individual lives and whole families can be forever changed for the course of history. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to see this happen in my friend's life! My own faith has been so renewed as I am reminded of the Lord's unstoppable desire to see His loved ones brought home to Him.

And even more, I have been so blessed to see firsthand what can happen when God's children truly operate in the unity to which they have been called by Christ (John 17). Too often the Church is known for its discord, for its foolish bickering over what are ultimately just preferences. But not always! And my prayer will continue to be not anymore.

Lord, let Your Body, Your Bride be so moved to love each other and the world in such a way that no one can deny Your power and Your Truth, which is Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment