Tuesday, January 13, 2015

I Can Rest Because He Will Stand

“Many are the plans in the mind of a man,
but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand.”
- Proverbs 19: 21

I've never been good at “going with the flow.” I like to have a plan, to know what's coming so I can be prepared. I want clear-cut directions to ensure that if I do XYZ, then I will get my desired result. The problem is, life is not a series of well-planned, flawlessly executed events – just ask any parent who has wrung their hands as they watched all evidence of “control” over their environment quickly disappear! We rapidly learn that children are not robots, and are pros at making any “plans” we might have regarding them fly out the window rather than actually come to fruition! Flexibility is the key.

But it's hard to be flexible. Why? Because we're prideful. We want things to go the way we think they should go because, well, that's what we want. Maybe it's easier. Maybe it'll make us look better. Maybe it feels better. Problem is, life is not about us. Yes, we have an important role to play in God's Kingdom; yes, we are so loved that He provides for our every need and loves us so intensely that He gave His perfect Son to die so that we could live eternally...but ultimately, all of this world revolves around and exists for God's glory (not our preconceived plans).

So, the next time I find myself getting all in a fuss because my day isn't shaping up the way I planned it to (which happens more often than not!), instead of allowing myself to stomp/scowl/huff/puff around in frustration, I pray I'm able (by God's Spirit within me) to see the bigger picture that supersedes my limited perspective – that there is a great mosaic God is weaving through the lives of every single one of us, and He is in control of every detail; everything has a purpose (HIS purpose!) and a plan. Nothing is random; nothing happens “by chance.” What peace that can give my control-hungry heart as I learn to fall back and rest in the arms of my sovereign Father and, with childlike faith, trust that He is good and He has it all under control. And I don't have to.

1 comment: